In October of 1898, W.W. Gillham along with his brother J.L. Gillham moved from Winchester to establish a new funeral home on West State Street in Jacksonville. J.L. returned to Winchester shortly thereafter. W. W. Gillham remained to create a 118 year old legacy and the tradition continues.
Arthur G. Cody came to Jacksonville from Meredosia in 1903 to serve as an assistant to Mr. Gillham. In November of 1911, Cody entered into a partnership with C.E. Williamson to open a new funeral parlor on East State Street in Jacksonville. Mr. Cody later went into business for himself at 226 West State Street before relocating in 1926 to the former Stice residence at 202 N. Prairie Street. The Schaefer Funeral Home of Meredosia was purchased in 1971 becoming the Schaefer-Cody Funeral Home. A. G. Cody was followed by three succeeding generations including his son, Willard Cody, his grandsons, Fred and Richard Cody, and his great grandson, Jon Cody.
In 1921, Gillham purchased the former Kreider residence at 326 West State Street. The Gillham firm has been continued by Fred Bailey, Thomas Jenkinson, and Clarence Muelhausen. Bill Buchanan joined the firm in 1951 following Muelhausen's death, later converting the chapel to the Gillham-Buchanan Funeral Home. The Massie Funeral Home of Virginia and the Massie Memorial Home of Ashland were purchased in December of 1985 and renamed the Massie-Buchanan Funeral Homes. Bill Buchanan was succeeded by his son, John Buchanan.
The two multi-generational firms which date back to the 19th century, Gillham-Buchanan Funeral Home and Cody & Son Memorial Home, were merged July 1, 2007 to form the Buchanan & Cody Funeral Home and Crematory, Inc. The newly formed funeral home will maintain their facilities in Virginia, Meredosia, and Ashland and have moved to their newly constructed funeral home facility at 1100 Lincoln Avenue in Jacksonville.